Tuesday, January 26, 2010

David Maywhoor

David Maywhoor was surprisingly laid back and was helpful with putting some things into perspective for me when it comes to our forests here in Ohio and the US. I never thought of our woods as belonging to the people or as public property. Thinking about it this way makes me wonder why more people aren't taking action. I don't understand why such a small handful of people are in charge of making the decisions about destroying our land and we have no say.
I had no idea that we intentionally burn acres of woods and it doesn't even seem like these people know what they are doing. Maywhoor even told us that many times these prescribed burnings get out of hand and cause much more damage than intended. It makes me cringe at the idea that people go out into the woods without even attempting to move any animals or take any precautions to minimize the destruction. It's disturbing that animals that can't fly or are innocently eating or sleeping are burned alive just because. I don't really understand the entire idea of burning woods just so other types of trees can grow. Don't we have any land where they can plant the type of trees they want? Again, I think it's really unfair that a group of people get to decide what happens to the land that is public property and belongs to all of us.
I think David Maywhoor was very intelligent and knowledgeable about this topic but at times his descriptions and information went right over my head. A lot of the stuff he was talking about I barely have heard of before so I think it would've been nice if we have a brief session on BFC for "dummies". Overall I enjoyed his presentation and I'm glad he brought this to my attention because it's yet another thing going on right now that I was unaware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment